A special election is being held on November 4th for the vacancy of the office of DeKalb County Commissioner, District 1. This is to fill the unexpired term of Elaine Boyer, who resigned. (The ballot will also have local, state and federal office items as well.)
Each candidate was provided with a list of questions by SaveDunwoody to assist voters in learning about those running. The letter can be seen below and was sent twice to each candidate.*
Wendy Butler - replied "no thank you" to answering the questions, but wanted voters to be aware that she has the support from developers in the county
Larry Danese - replied, answers can be viewed by clicking here (PDF file)
Nancy Jester - no response
Thomas Owens - replied, answers can be viewed by clicking here (PDF file)
Holmes Pyles - no written response
District 1 of DeKalb represents portions of north DeKalb, including much of Brookhaven, Chamblee, Dunwoody, Doraville, Tucker and Smoke Rise.
Letter to candidates
*Dear Candidate for DeKalb County Commissioner, District 1:
As a resource and tool for our community, SaveDunwoody has created a questionnaire to help voters learn about you and the reasons you are seeking office. This is an important opportunity for you to share your opinions and educate the entire voting public of your philosophies. There are also many issues residents want to learn your views on before this election.
Your timely responses will be shared on the SaveDunwoody.com website. We will also inform those on our email list and the entire public of the posted responses so voters can gain insight into your stances as a candidate and as a person. ***The deadline for us to receive your completed responses and post your responses is October 11th.***
We have attempted to keep the number of questions limited and we ask that you please keep your responses within the 75 word limit. We appreciate your effort in this endeavor and look forward to helping the voters of Dunwoody, as well as all of District 1, get to know more about you.
Please keep responses to 75 words or less:
1. Why do you want to be on the DeKallb County Commission?
2. What are your qualifications?
3. How will you improve DeKalb?
4. What do you think is the biggest issue DeKalb needs to solve?
5. What role does Dunwoody play in the county?
6. What is your reaction to the conviction of Elaine Boyer, the person you seek to replace?
7. How knowledgeable are you of DeKalb codes?
8. How will you vote on items that will raise taxes?
9. Do you believe commissioners should be allowed to expense meals on their p-cards?
10. What new efforts do you support to maintain the county’s “Green Community” designation?
11. Do you think Dunwoody should create its own fire department, separate from DeKalb?
12. What statewide legislation can impact Dunwoody?
13. What has DeKalb done well in the past five years?
14. How will you build consensus and support in DeKalb?
15. What will be your greatest challenge if elected?
+ Any special comments you want to add?--